Sunday, August 25, 2013

Death By Hops

Death by Hops as explained by their brewmaster: "71lbs of high alpha hops were used to make this beer. That’s just over 20 grams of hops used for each pint! DBH was brewed with 2 row barley, Carapils and Crisp Crystal 45 malts and fermented to 7% alc/vol. DBH was hopped with 5 different West Coast hops: Chinook, Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial and Cascade. Additionally, DBH was twice dry hopped with different combinations of these hops. The net result is an amazing aroma of ripe juicy fruit mixed in with a bouquet of spring flowers. DBH was brewed to a level of bitterness of 108 IBU’s, and leaves a lingering bitterness; it is, after all, a double IPA!"

While not an IPA drinker by nature, I have tried to expand my tastes. I have started to develop a liking for these types of beers and this one was very good. I had never heard of Olde Hickory brewing, but while I was at the local beer store, their rep happened to be stocking shelves. I asked what he recommended and this was the end result. The taste was typical IPA, but with a better finish. The fruit tastes were subtle, just enough to provide great flavor and I didn't find the bitter after taste to be as strong as other double IPAs I have had. Very inexpensive, at $7.99 for a 750mL bottle, Death By Hops is a terrific buy. The 7% by volume is lower than most IPAs, but with a less bitter after taste, I could probably drink a few more. Brewed here in NC makes this beer readily available at most specialty shops, but probably a very difficult find outside of NC. A good find, and a good recommendation.

Taste: 3.5 cans
Drinkability: 3.5 cans
Affordability: 4 cans
Availability: 2 cans
Overall: 3.5 cans

No comments:

Post a Comment